+385 95 198 5973



Dubrovačka 3, Split

Frequently asked questions


Answers to frequently asked questions

Here we give you the answers to FAQ concerning purchase of real estates in the Republic of Croatia. In Croatia we have plenty of legal acts and laws concerning traffic of real estates and in connection with real estates in general. It is not our intention to bore you with the local legislation, but to give short and simple answers on issues that might be of interest to you. We will supplement the answers to the questions as they appear in practice. In case there is questions that are not contained here, feel free to contact our agency directly.

Proof of Croatian citizenship, either in form of citizenship certificate, passport or personal identification card. A copy of any of the above is accepted in case the original can be shown simultaneously.

Foreign nationals from the country of the European Union can buy property in Croatia without restrictions, except for agricultural land. Citizens of other countries can buy real estate in Croatia only with the approval of the Ministry of Justice and only those with whom the Republic of Croatia has signed a reciprocity contract. Foreign citizens who have a company established in Croatia can buy real estate in Croatia, on behalf of the company, without restrictions.

Foreign natural or legal persons can without any problems sell real estates in Croatia.

The Republic of Croatia has a unified tax rate of 3% for all types of real estate and respective transactions. The tax is defined based on the price of the real estate in the sales contract and the value estimate by the authorized tax authority in charge for the area in which the real estate is located. According to the Law, tax on purchase of real estate is paid by the customer or the seller on behalf of the customer, if the parties agree upon this.

Public notaries submit one copy of the sales contract to the tax authorities. The customer is obliged to pay respective real estate purchase tax within 15 days from the day of reception of the decision received from the tax authorities on the exact tax amount. If this tax is not paid within this term, interest on arrears are charged for every day of delayed payment.

If you buy real estate from a legal entity that is liable for value added tax (VAT) and VAT has been charged on the real estate (on building and land), there is no tax obligation for the buyer.

No. Only in case the real estate is sold prior to the expiration of three years after it has been purchased and if sold at higher price than originally purchased. In such a case the seller has to pay a 35% income tax on the difference in value of the real estate (purchase and sales price) increased for local taxes, different in every municipality.

Usually the down-payment is 10% of the sales price or different if agreed so between the contractual parties.

Yes, In such a case it is the best to have it verified in a Croatian embassy or consulate. If you verify such a contract before a public notary, then this verification has to be translated into Croatian by an appointed courts interpreter.

The tax is to be paid by bank money transfer. The amount is converted into Kuna at the middle exchange rate by the National bank of Croatia at the day of payment.

The fact that we separately cite flats and apartments on our website should not confuse you; on the contrary, we do it to make it easier for you to search for real estates. Of course, both are actually the same kind of real estate, but so that our customers get a better overview in our wide range of listings we made the distinguishing. Flats are real estate in the city that is mainly intended for permanent living and apartments are located in the surrounded smaller places or villages outside the city generally used as holiday properties.

There are two things that have to be clear, firstly, the ownership of the property, and then, if it is a built property, the legality of the building. Since properties have been very easily legalized in recent years, legalization decisions and certificates of occupancy are very accessible. For land that we include in our offer, we always try to obtain the document Location information, from the owner before we advertise it. This is a document that can be obtained from the Office of Spatial Planning and Construction and which already shows in which zone the property is located, what is its use, which spatial plans relate to the property and where the plans can be inspected!

Do you have any other questions?

Save time, and provide yourself with legal and administrative support with professional and friendly advice and realize your dream.

Send inquiry